Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hidden Message Jewelry

A few days ago I had a conversation with a wonderful lady named Karin Castens who is one of my biggest inspirations. She writes a great blog under the name of Phantasteria, and her jewelry is just amazing. Like me, she has a love of creating hidden secrets in her jewelry. As I'm still new at the whole metalworking thing, I haven't made nearly as many wonderful creations as she has, but as we were talking about this very subject of jewelry secrets, I got the idea for my latest pendant.

Although I did not make the copper chain, I did make the clasp hook and the little double rings that are holding it onto the necklace. So that was fun, as I usually use store bought jump rings. I made the pendant out of two 1" copper discs. The pendant can be worn with either disc in front; it looks lovely both ways. The first disc is filled with what seems like a random stamping of letters, but by placing the second disc on top, a hidden message is revealed.

This is the type of pendant I really love making. It's unique, unusual, contains an element of mystery & surprise, and has an antique hammered finish that gives it a nice bit of personality. I'm a little surprised that it has received quite a bit of compliments, however, because while I like this sort of piece, I wasn't aware that it was something that others would like also. But, as it has been pretty well received, I will probably add a few versions of this in my store in the next week or so.

Here are the pics of my hidden message pendant (I still haven't thought of a good name yet...if you have a suggestion, please let me know):

No comments:

Post a Comment